Please enter wearing a mask. If you have forgotten one I will have disposable ones for you.
When you arrive please wash your hands immediately.
- Please introduce yourself to the Instructor // Supervisor upon arrival and let them know the purpose of your attendance.
If you can, please avoid bringing anything unnecessary into the studio.
Please maintain 2m or 6feet distance from everyone else in the studio at all times. There are 6feet markers for your reference. Do not move studio equipment (wheels etc) as they are spaced accordingly.
Only one person is allowed in the blue square by the sink at a time.
Please do not touch your face or put your fingers in your mouth. I know it's tempting to eat clay, but it's really not recommended. If you need to touch your face please wash your hands before & after. There are tissues and paper towels available, or you can bring your own towel to help save the planet!
There are markers for where you should stand at the wedging tables. 6 people can wedge at a time; 3 at each table. If you have chosen a spot right beside a wheel, that will be your work station.
- Check in with Supervisor // Instructor upon arrival.
- Drop In's are supervised but self directed, if you have questions please ask them during class time. If you need help, or have forgotten how to throw I suggest you ask your peers; watch online videos; practise and/or register for a class. Please do not come to the studio expecting Supervisors or myself to teach you, this is our time to work as well.
- If you cancel within 24 hours or no show you will be charged for the spot, unless your spot is taken (I suggest removing your name from the spreadsheet so someone sees the spot available.)
- You are allowed to automatically RSVP for ONE open studio per week. 24 hours prior to additional open studios that week, you are able to RSVP to second (or third/fourth) ones if there is space. This is to allow everyone a fair chance to create.
- You will be invoiced for the Drop In after, cash is not accepted.
- You are allowed 2 ware boards, any more may be tossed without notice.
- Your wareboards must have your name & date attended labeled on a sticky
- If you are creating work during a course (and/or Drop-In Studios throughout the course) wareboards should be placed on the class shelf.
- If you are creating work in Drop-In Studios and not enrolled in a course your wareboards should be stored in the Drop-In Studio shelves.
- By attending a Drop In, you are agreeing to come back within 2 weeks to attend to your work. If there is more than 2 weeks between please take your belongings home. If your pieces are there for longer than 2 weeks they may be tossed out without notice.
- Glazing is not permitted in Drop In's unless you have received permission from Gabrielle (you should be confident glazing on your own and not have to ask any questions.)
- If you have received permission from Gabrielle to glaze in Drop In's (weekends only!) please ask supervisor BEFORE setting up.
- If you are late cleaning up after Drop In has completed you may be charged a late fee.
- Please email Gabrielle requesting an invoice for clay BEFORE taking it.
- If you are enrolled in a course, please move your boards to the Annex the last day of your course.
- After the course is over you have two weeks to come and finish your work, your first Drop In after the course is over (within 2 weeks) is at student pricing.
- You may be charged a late fee if your are still cleaning up after Drop In has ended.
- Glazing is included in the course within class times. In the event that glazing is not done in class, you may attend a glazing workshop -$20- to glaze up to 6 pieces.
- Ensure your glaze is not applied too thickly, or too close to the bottom as it may run and stick to the kiln shelves.
- If your work sticks to the kiln shelves you may be charged $20-100 for shelf grinding and/or replacement.
- Please place items to be fired on the shelf to the right of the kiln.
- Items on the top glaze shelf have been rejected from firing. Please fix items, and put on regular shelf.
- Reject shelf -top shelf- will be cleared out the 1st of every month.
- To get permission to glaze in a Drop In, you need to "Check Out" during a Glazing workshop. You must help set up, glaze without direction, and help clean up, thus demonstrating you understand and are confident in how to safely use the materials. Glazing rights may be revoked if do not 1.) check in with supervisor prior to glazing 2.) demonstrate confident material handling.
- Once your items -greenware- are trimmed & labeled with your name, they can be put on the shelf to the left of the kiln for bisque firing.
- Bisqued items can be glazed and put on the shelf to the right of the kiln.
- No wareboards permitted on shelves in the kiln room. Your pieces will not be fired.
- Firings happen daily, however there is no schedule.
- Firings are dependant on what type of work there is more of.
- After your items have been fired, you have 2 weeks to collect your items. Items waiting longer than two weeks will be tossed (no warnings, no exceptions.)
- A link to the Firing Calendar is available in the Missed Classes & Drop In Spreadsheet
- Pickup of work is possible during Drop In Studio times. Check spreadsheet for schedule.
Missed Classes & Makeups
- If you are sick during your course, you may use the Missed Classes & Drop In Spreadsheet to organize a make up class.
- You are eligible for a makeup if you mark yourself away 24 hours PRIOR to the missed class, or provide a Doctor's note.
- If you successfully makeup your class, please remove yourself for all other spots you signed up for or else you will be charged $45 per spot.
- Makeups are not permitted in Drop In Studios.
- Please be aware it is a cozy studio, and if you arrive sick or ill, you will be asked to leave. The makeup policy is in place to protect you in the event you miss a class due to illness.
General Studio Guidelines
- No clay from outside the studio is permitted. Additional bags of clay may be purchased through the studio.
- Trimmings go into the appropriate clay recycle buckets. The general studio clay buckets are located on the North wall, under the window with the plants (my lovely Calethea's LOL.)
- Please scrape the heavey sediment from the bottom of your throwing bucket into the orange garbage clay buckets by the tool shelf. If this sediment gets into the clay recycle it will ruin the entire batch. If you are unsure of where the buckets are located please ask the Instructor // Supervisor.
- We recycle pretty much everything. Please put the wet paper towel in the paper products bins, garbage in garbage, and rinse any food containers and put them in the recycling bin. All bins are labeled.
- All clay bags are recycled. There is a bag beside the garbage/recycling in the Annex, and a collected under the east table in the main room.
- Please do not use paper under your pots. If you are worried about items sticking/cracking, run the wire cutter underneath them after putting onto ware board. Trying to get to as little waste as possible!
- At the end of your session, please wipe down your wheel into your bucket. Your splash pans and tools should not have a speck of clay on them when you go to rinse it off in the sink. This makes Gabrielle mad (you're being inconsiderate for spending a long time cleaning items at the sink, and potentially clogging the pipes with your clay.)
- Absolutely no clay down the sink. Please pour your throwing water off down the sink, and then scrape your sediment into the orange garbage buckets by the tool shelf.
- Please clean tools and put them back where they belong.
- Please scrape & sponge down where you have wedge on the table.
- Please sweep around the table if you have put crusties on the floor, or trimmings around your wheel.
- Please mop splatter around your wheel, and your wedging spot at the table.
- DO NOT TOUCH ANY WORK OTHER THAN WHAT IS ON YOUR BOARD. All shelves, including your work waiting to be fired is off limits.
- Work that is trimmed must be labeled with your name. (After you’ve trimmed leave you work uncovered to dry so that it can go into the kiln- if you re-cover your work it will not be fired.)
- You are responsible for covering up your work. Your work will not be covered up for you. You are also responsible for drying out your work. You are welcome to pop into the studio during the Drop In Studios to adjust how you've wrapped your pieces to dry out your work.
- You are able to leave your tools on your board, if you have your own.
- Clean up is 30 minutes before the open studio is over. You need to manage your time, and if you need more time to clean up it is your responsibility to schedule it.
- Any work that breaks/cracks will not be fired.
- Absolutely no sanding is permitted in the studio. Sanding may be done outside, and you should wear a mask (bring your own :) )
- Please be aware we may have dogs on premises, and use diffusers with essential oils. If you have any allergies please notify me prior to class.
- When handling bisqueware, ensure there is no lotion or oils on your hands as this may prevent the glaze from adhering properly.
- Items that have been rejected from firing will be placed on the TOP of the student kiln shelf. Your pieces will not be fired if they have cracked, or there is glaze too close or on the bottom. If you wipe the glaze away you may put your pieces back on the 'to be fired' shelf.
- Please do not ask me, supervisors or instructors where your work is.
- If you open the door in the Annex to the street, please close the doorif your are leaving the room. Please ensure it is latched as the lock does not always catch when closed. Give the door a good tug.
- You are not permitted to enter into Celsia Floral Lmtd. space or use their furniture/equipment for the duration of your class and/or Drop In Studio. Please remain in designated areas.
- g ceramic & co. reserves the right to refuse service to person(s) who do not comply with studio guidelines.
- Any person(s) who do not treat other person(s) with kindness and respect will be asked to leave the premises. Discrimination, hate speech, disrespectful behaviour is not permitted, no exceptions. You will not be reimbursed for any classes in the event that you are asked to leave the studio.
- Tickets are non-refundable, if you are unable to attend please email ASAP to see if it is possible to have your tickets transferred.
- Please note that g ceramic & co. is under no obligation to refund part, or all of class price if you can not, or do not attend.
- Transfers are under sole discretion of g ceramic & co.
- g ceramic & co. and it's affiliates reserves the right to refuse service to person(s) who do not comply with studio guidelines. Any person(s) who do not treat other person(s) with kindness and respect will be asked to leave the premises.
- By attending the event, you hereby agree to all terms & conditions.
Exclusion of Liability
- By attending classes and open studio you agree and understand that in connection with your participation in any event or activity, you may be exposed to a variety of hazards and risks, foreseen or unforeseen, which may or not be inherent to those activities and events. The risks include, but are not limited to the dangers of personal injury, property damage, property loss, and death. g ceramic & co. has not tried to contradict or minimize your understanding of these risks. By entering into the studio, you agree and understand that injuries and damages can occur by natural causes, or by the acts of other persons or third parties, either as an act of negligence of because of other reasons. You are personally responsible for all costs and/or risks associated with any public or private event or activity. Notwithstanding anything contrary herein, to the fullest extent allowed by law, you agree to waive, discharge claims, release g ceramic & co. from all liability and indemnify and hold harmless g ceramic & co., it's organizers, hosts, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers. agents, volunteers, and other partners and employees, from any and all liability on account of, or in any way resulting from injuries and damages in any way connected to events and activities. You agree and understand and intent that this assumption of risk and release be binding upon your heirs, executors, agents, administrators, and assigns, and includes any minors accompanying users at the events. Your participation in this private event & affiliated activities is at your sole and exclusive risk. g ceramic & co. may refuse admittance, may charge the admission fee, or ask you to leave at any time for any reason.